**I just hope he knows when to stop and can retire with the dignity and record he deserves. So many of these guys end up staying past their time and its sad to see greats like BJ Penn and Dan Henderson getting pummeled by guys they would have destroyed earlier in their careers.
**Andrew: now you're talkin'! I don't want to see Hendo take any more brain trauma either, though I will sorely miss him when he's gone. I hope he steps away before he starts to sound like another of my favorites, The Iceman, who hung around for a few too many KOs, sadly.
**I think GSP deserves to retire after Hendricks. His fights may not be as exciting like Jon Jones or JDS but he destroyed his competition.As for Hendrick I would recommened that Hendrick better finish the fight within the first 10 minutes or his cardio will run out.
**GSP retiring after his fight with Hendricks would be timely considering Rory Mac's rise up the ranks. If Rory gets past Lawler in his next fight, there would be no reason to deny Rory a shot at the vacated title. Ideally, that would be against the Condit/Brown winner. I think the timing is right if George chooses to retire and the prospects of Rory/Condit rematch for the belt would be exciting!
**Where is it a given that St Pierre will even beat Hendricks?, Hendricks has just as much of a chance to beat St. Pierre as vice versa. The only thing for sure is that the fight is scheduled for Nov 16. Giving all respect to both of them(both great fighters), things have a way of working out a little differently than most of us expect, Hendricks has a fighters chance. Rory Mac may not be the next big thing, and the Cow may jump over the moon. (Puns intended)
**It's best for fighters to leave one fight early than one fight too late and in GSP's case, he owes nobody an explanation. He has alot of future options available.
**GSP is a hall of fame fighter, probably the best athelete to come out of Canada. He certainly can fight better than all of their hockey players combined. He fought some of the toughest men that ever lived - BJ, Matt Hughes, Nick Diaz and others. He fought BJ and Hughes more than once. He also avenged his loss against Serra. I will miss his class and poise. GSP even out wrestled the best UFC wrestlers. I could go on and on but it's 5:00 a.m. CST.
**This could also prove to be the final piece to making a fight with Anderson Silva happen. If GSP is serious about retiring, he could vacate the WW title as the champ, then make a permanent move up in weight to take on Silva as his final fight. Despite Silva's loss to Weidman, I still think there would be a good amount of interest in a Silva/GSP fight.
**So few fighters go out as champ with a win. If GSP gets the win, then yes, no more. Don't be like so many others. If he has managed his money well, why not? Nothing left to prove.
**No I think Georges is a smart man and knows a person cannot be at the top of his or her game forever, there comes a time to say I have done all I have wanted to do and this can certainly be said with Georges. Nothing else to prove, retire with dignity!
**If anyone that comments has not actually been in the cage, you have no frame of reference. The motivation and intensity it takes to fight at his level is hell to go through. Day in, day out, putting the fight before EVERYTHING in your life. It's not like in football or baseball where those guys can go out a few nights during the week for a few drinks at the club. It's not necessarily what you're willing to put into it, but more about what you are willing to give up. GSP built a solid career, is pulling about 4-5 million a fight now after PPV buys and has nothing left to prove. He may walk away for a bit so he does have to stay busy and defend his title, but I could see him coming back for a couple of "super fights" if he does.
**When GSP retires it will be like Jordan retiring from the NBA. It just won't be the same without GSP. He gave it 100% and like Jordan had a burning desire to be the best. So it was fun watching him rise to the top. And he was the perfect gentleman. As a GSP fan this stings. But I'd rather see an athlete go out on top than to watch him stick around too long.
**There is nothing "rush" about St-Pierre. Since Serra's knock out, St-Pierre has become a boring, predictable, and stalemate of a fighter. His retirement would bring more excitement to welterweight championships. No disrespect to the champ, but he's no longer a fighter.
**This man has been and is a great champion. A legend in UFC. Would hate to see him retire but going out on a high note much preferable to staying too long.
**Andrew: now you're talkin'! I don't want to see Hendo take any more brain trauma either, though I will sorely miss him when he's gone. I hope he steps away before he starts to sound like another of my favorites, The Iceman, who hung around for a few too many KOs, sadly.
**I think GSP deserves to retire after Hendricks. His fights may not be as exciting like Jon Jones or JDS but he destroyed his competition.As for Hendrick I would recommened that Hendrick better finish the fight within the first 10 minutes or his cardio will run out.
**GSP retiring after his fight with Hendricks would be timely considering Rory Mac's rise up the ranks. If Rory gets past Lawler in his next fight, there would be no reason to deny Rory a shot at the vacated title. Ideally, that would be against the Condit/Brown winner. I think the timing is right if George chooses to retire and the prospects of Rory/Condit rematch for the belt would be exciting!
**Where is it a given that St Pierre will even beat Hendricks?, Hendricks has just as much of a chance to beat St. Pierre as vice versa. The only thing for sure is that the fight is scheduled for Nov 16. Giving all respect to both of them(both great fighters), things have a way of working out a little differently than most of us expect, Hendricks has a fighters chance. Rory Mac may not be the next big thing, and the Cow may jump over the moon. (Puns intended)
**It's best for fighters to leave one fight early than one fight too late and in GSP's case, he owes nobody an explanation. He has alot of future options available.
**GSP is a hall of fame fighter, probably the best athelete to come out of Canada. He certainly can fight better than all of their hockey players combined. He fought some of the toughest men that ever lived - BJ, Matt Hughes, Nick Diaz and others. He fought BJ and Hughes more than once. He also avenged his loss against Serra. I will miss his class and poise. GSP even out wrestled the best UFC wrestlers. I could go on and on but it's 5:00 a.m. CST.
**This could also prove to be the final piece to making a fight with Anderson Silva happen. If GSP is serious about retiring, he could vacate the WW title as the champ, then make a permanent move up in weight to take on Silva as his final fight. Despite Silva's loss to Weidman, I still think there would be a good amount of interest in a Silva/GSP fight.
**So few fighters go out as champ with a win. If GSP gets the win, then yes, no more. Don't be like so many others. If he has managed his money well, why not? Nothing left to prove.
**No I think Georges is a smart man and knows a person cannot be at the top of his or her game forever, there comes a time to say I have done all I have wanted to do and this can certainly be said with Georges. Nothing else to prove, retire with dignity!
**If anyone that comments has not actually been in the cage, you have no frame of reference. The motivation and intensity it takes to fight at his level is hell to go through. Day in, day out, putting the fight before EVERYTHING in your life. It's not like in football or baseball where those guys can go out a few nights during the week for a few drinks at the club. It's not necessarily what you're willing to put into it, but more about what you are willing to give up. GSP built a solid career, is pulling about 4-5 million a fight now after PPV buys and has nothing left to prove. He may walk away for a bit so he does have to stay busy and defend his title, but I could see him coming back for a couple of "super fights" if he does.
**When GSP retires it will be like Jordan retiring from the NBA. It just won't be the same without GSP. He gave it 100% and like Jordan had a burning desire to be the best. So it was fun watching him rise to the top. And he was the perfect gentleman. As a GSP fan this stings. But I'd rather see an athlete go out on top than to watch him stick around too long.
**There is nothing "rush" about St-Pierre. Since Serra's knock out, St-Pierre has become a boring, predictable, and stalemate of a fighter. His retirement would bring more excitement to welterweight championships. No disrespect to the champ, but he's no longer a fighter.
**This man has been and is a great champion. A legend in UFC. Would hate to see him retire but going out on a high note much preferable to staying too long.
RSS Feed
Twitter
Posted in
0 comments:
Post a Comment